Title Sequence Clip Review

Title Sequence Clips                                                                                                                        


From each movie we watched, we were introduced into a bunch of genres to choose from. Bold red lettering was a popular choice for movie openers among all sequences. The only thing with how they were differentiated related back to what kind of genre they were. For example, in the movie, Scream, the letters were bold red with a bloody drip effect added to them, where as in The Lion King, there is a more of a 'new awakening' vibe. Saturday Night Fever also shows a lot of red in the opening title. Red is a very bold color and gives off a very bold and confident vibe, so using it in a movie like Saturday Night Fever is very fitting with how the character acts in the start. 

The red could foreshadow a bunch of things, depending on the genre. In the Scream title, it is easy to use the red as a foreshadowing of blood and gore. Foreshadowing is very common in the titles of scary movies. The screams in the beginning of the movie Scream also tie in perfectly with 1) the title of the movie, and 2) how the movie is going to be structured as time goes on. In the article, “First Frames: Titles in the Digital Realm”, it is said that all art forms compliment the narrative. By this, I think the author is talking about how the title sequences introduces the viewer to the movie. For example, a coming of age movie could be introduced with a sunrise on a school morning. A Syfy movie could be introduces with some sort of creepy opening, like the Space Odyssey, where the screen is black for a bit to entice the viewer, then hit them with the opening to how man first started to use tools.

The article also states how “the sequences promote excitement”. What I take from this is the same as before, the title makes the movie. In Pulp Fiction, the viewer is introduced with a couple casually chatting over morning breakfast, but then immediately hit with loud music, loud shouting, and gunshots, followed by big and bold yellow lettering for the title of the movie. This is used to keep the viewer interested in the movie. I can take these examples of movie openers to start brainstorming my own movie by figuring out what I like about them and what I don’t like about them. I am a fan of the coming to age or action style movie. I don’t think I’m going to make a horror movie, unless it is like Scream with the obliviousness in the girl’s voice, up until she realizes that she is going to be killed by the stalker.  

Comments