Creativity & Genre

 When beginning a new endeavor, creativity/creative process is very important. First off, what is creativity? To be creative, one would have to use original ideas, something that was never came up with before, or is original/unique to the person. In the Ted Talk, The Theory of Creativity, the speaker introduces us to the thought that a creative person is able to introduce people to a new idea and make them believe that this is the next big thing, that the idea is worthy. By understanding this statement, it’s easy to tell whether or not the idea of whatever you’re embarking on may be creative or not. If you can’t get your idea to somewhat inspire others, then it may not be creative enough.  

In the “New Introductions” activity, I chose the movie category.  I watched a bunch of animated movies when I was growing up, so now I enjoy watching good animations over real person films. I prefer the creativity that comes with the animations, because in animations, the limits are endless. I watched Wall-e a lot as a kid, so looking back at it now, the space scenes always fascinated me. Being able to be that free in a “dystopian” society, like in Wall-e made me feel either independent or empowered. The creativity of the movie always left me in wonders.  

In the interview with Ron BeghettoSubtle Nuances in Creativityit is stated that “creativity, by definition, is actually constrained originality. Creativity is originality constrained by meaningfulness.” This to me shows that creativity is not something to be taken granted, because some people aren’t as original as others, so creativity can truly be considered a gift.  

My partner, Spencer Ballard, and I were originally going to do the magazine project, but after researching all of this new information, we decided it would be better to choose a film. We are doing our project on COVID-19, so capturing the insight of the hardships and the effects it had would be better through a documentary instead of a magazine. Spencer and I are both very creative people, so being able to figure out what kind of perspective we want to film from shouldn’t be too difficult, along with how we are going to set up our film. We are thinking about making a documentary, however, there will be more excitement to the documentary instead of a boring voice that drones on. 

I watched the documentary Totally Under Control, documentary on corona virus, and from what I can take away from that documentary is a new perspective of the entire pandemic. Both of us have family members who were affected by the corona virus, so overall I think we have a pretty good grasp as to what we are going to do and how to make it creative. 

Comments