Peer Pitch & Concept Refinement Chart

 

CATEGORY 

DETAILS 

Film OR Magazine 

Film 

Genre 

Documentary 

Target Audience (Be specific) 

Young Americans (15-30) 

What is your concept? (Be thorough & specific. Review the links on Blackboard) 

The effects of COVID-19 on society. Shows how COVID effected our society from a standpoint in the past, present, and future. Will capitalize on two or more families and how COVID effected their families. Each family will be under different conditions, e.g. frontline workers, families with deaths, and families that have lost jobs.  

How did you conceive the idea for this concept? 

There are many videos going around the internet on how we all are affected from the virus, for example, the class of 2020 not having graduation in both college and high school, the election, some states still being in lockdown, the riots, and the loss of family members. There are various stories on the subject, but everyone has their own perceptive of how COVID is affecting their lives. We want our film to show that one downfall as we are growing up does not define who we are and what we do, it just helps us grow and shape a better society, one away from all of the violence and sickness. When the lockdowns 0started, everything began to fall, but we are going to start fresh, and we want our film to show that.  

What do you believe is unique about your concept? 

I believe that our concept raises awareness for a bigger picture in the future. Our lives have been greatly affected by COVID in many ways, and our generation is able to make a difference.  

Why do you believe this product will be of interest to your audience? 

This concept shares a story from an outsider who has been affected by COVID, not as much as others, but it still puts a dent in their life. A lot of people are stuck in a situation where they aren’t sure what to do anymore, but we want our film to show that there is a light at the end of the tunnel, and even if life can’t go back to the “normalcy” that it once was, there will still be a positive outcome.  

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

FEEDBACK RECEIVED FROM PEERS 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

  •  Focus on more families 

  • Politically active people 

  • Possibly do friend groups?  

  • Refine the plotline and the characters and before who is going to be in it 

  • Loses job 

  • Show how the families are related 

  • Show different perspectives 

 

 

 

 

When Spencer and I presented our pitch to the entire class, I wasn’t feeling too confident. I thought that the class was going to think that our idea was blown way too out of proportion, and the likelihood of it being able to become a movie was just impossible, but turns out I was wrong. Everyone was very excited and the feedback given was minimal, mainly focusing on who we are featuring in our short film. Hearing everyone share their own little ideas about our future film inspired us to go a little out of our comfort zone and film in different places, like the hospital. I feel like I have a clearer vision with what I want to come out of our film. At first, I wasn’t too sure as to what we were going to do, or how we were going to approach it, but now I have a clear idea in mind. 

From the article, Exploring the role of meaningful experiences in users’ appreciation of “good movies”, written by authors Mary Beth Oliver and Tilo Hartmann, it is states that “been understood from the perspective of an audience that is assumed to be driven by hedonistic motivations.” This to me says that I need to make sure my perspective in my movie relates back to my target population.  The article does a very good job of supporting my concept because my concept is very broad, therefore I realize that I will need to narrow it down and form a more precise topic instead of the entire subject of “COVID-19 on Society”. 

Comments